Take Your Best Shot

by Sommer on December 4, 2014

I’ve recently gotten back in to playing basketball. Yes, a suburban mom of three at the local health club shooting hoops. I was never the star of the basketball team in high school. As a matter of fact, I’ve recently teased my parents for letting me play basketball at all as I spent much time warming the bench. I suppose they encouraged it because I loved the game. And now at 30-something, I know how to shoot and dribble and that will certainly come in handy as the mom of three boys.

So with a restored love of basketball, I found myself the other day amidst my weekly routine of shooting baskets. Some days another mom joins and we talk potty training while getting our 3-point shots on. But this day I was alone. Well, mostly alone. You see, the gym opens up to the part of the fitness club where people are on treadmills and ellipticals and they all stare at the gym. I’d been going about my business playing various made up shooting games when I started to miss shots, like every shot zinging here and flying there.

In the middle of running from here to there and trying to make at least one basket, I heard it. I heard what was causing all of the missed shots. Like a flood the thoughts came, “what do they think about your form; is your underwear showing, you run and shoot like that, people will think you are double-dribbling; you shouldn’t shoot like that; they can tell your arm is getting tired…” And I am fairly certain that not a single soul watching from the treadmills was thinking any of those thoughts because I’ve been on the treadmills and can’t recall having any other thought than “that looks like fun” when watching people shoot baskets.

I realized that the orange ball was not going in the white net when my mind was full of wondering assumptions. When I started to think about what other people might be thinking, I adjusted my movements in response to those opinions—I stopped moving like myself and started moving like I thought other people were expecting me to move. It was so, so subtle. The thoughts and my adjustments to them were subtle but enough to make me fail to hit the target.

Upon noticing that I had started to compensate my shot in response to the thoughts in my head, I stopped, refocused and reminded myself that these 45-minutes were about me. And I started to wonder how many “shots” I’ve missed in life because I started adjusting my behavior in response to the assumed opinions of others.

Were there other times when I failed to be fully “Sommer” because I was trying to compensate for the opinions of others? Were there times when I failed act in a way that would help me hit my goals? The answer is yes, lots of times. I can think of a number of times when I’ve wanted to step out and try something new but didn’t because of what I assumed other people might think or say about it. I’ve let ideas of what other people might think keep me from doing things the way they come naturally to me. This, folks, is ridiculous. I’m not a mind reader, so it’s time to stop pretending to know what everyone’s going to think and focus on doing the things that are in our hearts, the way God has intended for us to do them. So let me ask you, have you missed any shots lately?

Related Articles:

Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.

Be Sociable, Share!

{ 1 trackback }

Rational Phytotherapy: A Reference Guide for Physicians and Pharmacists - Rudolf H, Volker Schulz free downloads
June 1, 2015 at 12:35 pm

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Tile And grout Cleaning March 10, 2015 at 2:17 am

This article gives clear idea for the new viewers of blogging,
that truly how to do blogging and site-building.

Tiffany April 3, 2015 at 3:00 pm

For ex?mple, if your home office is 100 square feet and your home is a total of 2000 s?uare feet, then your percentage i? 5%.
You need to seek Tax Filing Help if you would like stay away from Tax Levy complications like
a ?age Levy or Bank Levy. Not sure if t?e IRS has a copy of a 1099 or W-2 wage statement.

Braces Mouthguard With Lip Guard April 11, 2015 at 4:30 am

Hello, after reading this amazing paragraph i am also cheerful to share my familiarity here with
friends.

Braces Rubber Bracelets April 11, 2015 at 7:06 pm

Hello to every one, the contents existing at this website
are genuinely remarkable for people experience, well, keep up the
nice work fellows.

braces procedure Dailymotion April 11, 2015 at 7:23 pm

I almost never leave remarks, but after reading a few of the
responses here Take Your Best Shot. I actually do
have 2 questions for you if you don’t mind.
Could it be simply me or does it seem like a few of the comments come across as if
they are written by brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are posting at additional online social sites,
I would like to follow everything new you have
to post. Would you list of every one of your social community sites like your twitter
feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

Pasquale April 11, 2015 at 9:17 pm

“) Contact the Prometric Candidate Services Call Center at 800-696-2722 or Prometric. You save a lot on inventory, testing, copywriting, and to be really honest, you will learn a lot about marketing during the course of becoming a CPA super affiliate. One important aspect of the business to save money in order to avoid the accumulation of corporate debt.

Domingo June 23, 2015 at 7:58 am

?asically, you can only d? 5 invoices, 5 proposals, and
5 ex?enses in the free version. 6) Easy export and import:-
A tax preparer can ea??ly import W-2, Sche?ule D, Trial balance and Year-end balance, as well ?s forms like child’s form 8615 and K-1 data from 1041, 1120S,
and 1065 are easily exportable. Every year, thousands of vacancie? open up in the public sector.

Mack813692.Buzznet.Com January 18, 2016 at 4:44 am

As you reap the rewards of your hard work,you will find all the time and effort you devoted in building and developing your acckunting qualifications are finally paying-off.
To better understand why these statistics are so alarming one should be familiar with the thuree